Kitchen Updates in our Daybreak Home
A year ago this month my husband talked me into buying a new home in Daybreak, I was skeptical of moving, I wasn’t seeing the vision like he was. I was thinking we would have to make a lot of changes to make the house fit our style and family's personality. My husband's motto is “buy an affordable home and enhance what you have”.
Here are some of the projects we started with after we bought our home in Daybreak Utah to fit our style and needs:
1) Landscaping. Since curb appeal is the first impression when people pull up to your home this is a good starting point. We took out the red prickly brushes that went around the house and put in different grasses and bushes that made playing outside a little easier for our two girls. Taking out the red bushes also helped neutralize our stucco color and take out some of the pink tones. If you aren't ready to repaint your entire home, but you're looking to change the color, landscaping and accent color changes go a long way!
2) Kitchen Updates. Kitchen and bath remodels are a great way to update your home and help build some equity and market appeal for resale.
Here is the before photo of our kitchen. The layout was functional and a great starting point to personalize the finishes to match our style.
Over the course of the first year in our home we have done several projects to completely remodel the kitchen. The first project we did inside was spraying the kitchen cabinets white, which brightened up the kitchen and also added some contrast to highlight the hardwood floors.
3) The house came with white appliances that were still in great condition so we put them up on KSL and sold them pretty fast. The money we made went towards new stainless steel appliances. We like the stainless steel for its sleek, commercial kitchen look.
4) Sometimes in remodeling one project will accidently create another.. if you've been through a home renovation you know what I mean! Through all these projects and all the painting I ruined the counter tops, so within a few months we replaced the laminate counter tops with light colored, gray, and black speckled granite. If you are looking to sell your home in Daybreak, granite can help add marketing appeal. Many buyers look for this in their new home, and it is also very functional and holds up well over the years.
5) Finally, we got to do the finishing touches that really made the kitchen feel like home for us. Chas and his Dad put in white subway tile that we ordered from Italy. Because we saved money by installing the tile ourselves, we were able to spend a little more picking out a tile that completed the kitchen and gave the kitchen a charming Paris feel, which is one of our family's favorite places. We also added a white shutter to the kitchen window with wide slates to let in more light.
Here are the after photos of our kitchen update. It definitely feels like home now that we have been able to personalize the decor and make it work for our family.
I love buying a home with a good location, the basics and a great layout. When searching for a home, focus on looking for the important things you need on your list that you won't be able to change later. This gives you the chance to make some changes to the finishes you can change like paint, countertops, tile, etc. that help make it feel like home. I have learned to love doing house projects and changing a home to fit our style. ~Jamie Jo
Blog Archive2017-12-11 16:03:49
Daybreak Tiny Houses
The Daybreak Community Enhancement Fee
Daybreak Utah Homes Pictures
Houses for Sale in Daybreak | Market Update
What's in a Name? A Street Name?
South Jordan Fitness Center - Halloween Pumpkin Pl
Prepare Your Home for Fall 2015
Inside Look at the Biltmore Estates!
FHA Loan Update!
Good to Know - Finding the Right Real Estate Agent
Beautiful & Timeless Bathroom Remodels
FAQ on Radon Levels in Utah
Prevent Frozen Pipes in Your Daybreak Homes
How to Create a Sports Themed Room
Top Kid-Friendly Winter Activities near Daybreak
Daybreak Bathroom Update
How to Make Your Daybreak Home Photogenic
How to Add Marsala to your Daybreak Home
Low Inventory Levels in Daybreak Utah
Winter Time House Hunting in Daybreak Utah
Pick It Up, Don't Pass It Up!
Road Trips around Utah from Daybreak
Daybreak Holiday Decorations & Staging
Staging Your Properties to Sell or to Rent
Click here to see ALL articles.